trip in review
so, i’ve realized there is no fixing my black book-i hope everyone will be okay with a text post to round off the trip!
Things I’ve done since we last spoke:
1) Went to Barcelona-saw the Gaudi architecture, stuck my toes in the meditteranean, ate some really good tapas, had some great sangria.
2) Went to Stratford-Upon-Avon-watched the RSC perform RICHARD III and TWELFTH NIGHT, took illegal photos of the stage, had the best breakfast of my life, watched Rude Tube for the first time, couldn’t find a dress I liked
3) Saw MISTERMAN and had my life changed. Want to be Enda Walsh when I grow up.
4) Went to Fabric, FINALLY. It was wild.
Plays I Have Seen Since Arriving In London:
*HOUSE OF BERNADA ALBA
*LOVE, LOVE, LOVE
*TIS PITY SHES A WHORE
*MOON ON A RAINBOW SHAWL
*COMEDY OF ERRORS
*SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER
*THE WINTERS TALE
*MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM
*CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS
*OTHELLO (pending, seeing it tonight)
I THINK thats it. I’m also qeueing to see MISTERMAN again because it was that fantastic.
Things I’m Doing Before I Leave In Less THAN A WEEK:
*National Portrait Gallery and National Gallery (Van Gogh and Monet floors)
*Victorian Albert Museum
*Turning in two more essays, taking two exams
*Going on the London Eye (it’s literally going to be one of the last things I do here)
I’m slightly heartbroken to be honest. I’m ready to go home and get my life back on track there, ready to start making money again, but I love this place. I love everything about it. Wah.
6:36 am • 6 May 2012
Just booked up for Barcelona, Spain for 4 days in May. This will be my second visit to Barcelona, here is an image I found online of the beautiful Parc Guell - Antonio Gaudi, with the cityscape in the background.
headed to Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia, La Perdera, and Casa Batllo EARLY in the morning with Caitlin-we are going to attempt to use the Barcelona metro with only a little bit of a handle on the language…BUT AT LEAST ITS PRETTY RIGHT?!
Keep your eyes peeled SATURDAY for text updates and photo posts about our weekend trip to Barcelona! ITS BEEN AWESOME (even though we haven’t gone out once because the MINISTRY OF SOUND IS CALLING US)
6:04 pm • 12 April 2012 • 23 notes
hello from BARCELONA!
so the hostel gave us a single room instead of an apartment, there’s no wifi in the rooms, and the bathrooms are community bathrooms BUT i’m going to count this as a blessing and consider it my wake up call to be more active and present in the moment. it’s supposed to be nice and sunny tomorrow!
we are hoping to shop on La Rambla, visit the beach, and hopefully even La Sagrada Familia if we can find it! I’m hoping it won’t be too hard.
then on Friday, I have to register for my summer class at virginia western (american sign language WHATS UP) and its supposed to rain a bit, but we will probably stick closer to the hostel and just be chill since we have SUCH an early morning Saturday getting back to the airport!
Since we will be out all day AND all night tomorrow (party party partyyyyy) I’m going to go ahead and put myself to bed…it’s already midnight here (it’s an hour ahead of London in BCN) so I figured I might as well be ahead of the game :)
it also took me 10 minutes to figure out how to make the smiley face because the keys on the lobby computer here at our hostel aren’t properly marked…but hey, life is an adventure!
6:23 pm • 11 April 2012
adventures in Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum, London ENGLAND
8:05 pm • 10 April 2012
this banksy classic is literally a 2 minute walk from my front door!
1:46 pm • 9 April 2012 • 15 notes
photo cred to Kyle Neary, Steve Aoki’s photographer for this great shot of the crowd at Koko in London on April 4th, 2012. One of the best nights of my life…I’m somewhere to the left!
3:58 pm • 8 April 2012 • 1 note
i have tickets to see Misterman in three weeks at the National Theatre!
(Source: cillianmesoftly, via bass-candy)
4:13 am • 4 April 2012 • 27 notes
“It was a great mistake, my being born a man, I would have been much more successful as a sea gull or a fish. As it is, I will always be a stranger who never feels at home, who does not really want and is not really wanted, who can never belong, who must always be a a little in love with death!”
-Edmund in Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey into Night
10:03 am • 3 April 2012 • 24 notes
worldwide food adventures part one: venice and paris
food featured includes pizza, ravioli, gelato, savory crepes, creme brulee, and a gyro filled with french fries. gotta love it.
9:47 am • 3 April 2012 • 1 note
39 days to go
i’m sorry i haven’t updated since Paris. things LITERALLY went into over drive when we got home. it was insane. I don’t even know where the time went, but time is running out and it’s definitely scary.
let’s break this down by breaking down the various areas of my london life:
1) The Theatre. since Paris, We’ve seen MOON ON A RAINBOW SHAWL (during previews, and hung out with one of the actors who was very cool, THE WINTERS TALE (by Propellor, an all male cast, totally weird but the ice cream was great), COMEDY OF ERRORS (the set was INCREDIBLE i was so excited about the set) SHE STOOPS TO CONQUER (not very good, honestly pretty boring), and CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS (a DV8 production that was hands down the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen…check out a preview here like by clicking the word here). really, absolutely stunning. Tonight we’re seeing LONG DAYS JOURNEY INTO NIGHT. I hear it’s heartbreaking. someone who starred in Desperate Housewives is performing in it, so that’s exciting for me.
THE WINTERS TALE as performed by Propeller. Obviously this was a little weird for everybody, but at least they look good in red.
an image fromCAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS? yes, sir, we can. so haunting.
2) Travel/Adventuring. We took an incredibly beautiful trip to York, and I’ve taken several walks along the Southbank (along the river Thames, where the Globe theatre is), a trip to Waltham Abbey with my history class (poor Keith was so disappointed, but I thought the zodiac signs on the ceiling were awesome!), and we saw some Fringe Theatre at a pub called the Lion and the Unicorn. I know what you’re thinking-that should be under theatre-but I’m too lazy to add it to the section above, and it was not the greatest thing in the world.
the southbank..not enough river in this photo. sorry guys.
the bathroom at the Lion and the Unicorn pub. Obviously the right words for the ladies room door.
Khelms and I, the most guilty prisoners in the Clink museum. This is also the creepiest place in the entirety of London, I kid you not.
I spy with my little eye…someone staring at me from under the floor.
3) Nightlife. Last weekend, we went with our guy friends from New York to this awesome nightclub called Piccadilly Institute. Four floors, six different rooms each with different themed drinks and music. It was insane. ABSOLUTELY insane.
This most recent weekend that has passed, we went dancing and the DJ taught me how to use his equipment and left me by myself to DJ while he went and drank. we also passed notes like middle schoolers for a good two hours. I didn’t give him my phone number or my name. I think he had red hair. Who even knows, it was pretty dark.
TOMORROW NIGHT, Caitlin and I are headed to see Steve Aoki at KoKo thanks to our wonderful new york bros Keon and Cory. WE ARE SO EXCITED!
you don’t know what you do to me bb. and this will be the best because we don’t actually have to leave early this time! STAYING UNTIL THE END. DANCING FOREVER. i might just dance until the tubes open at 6:00am.
That’s really all the updates now. I’ll post photos from York in a photo post, because they’re too big for the text posts. sorry about that.
9:16 am • 3 April 2012